Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Question of the Hour

The question of the hour (and for NO GOOD REASON, so don’t start getting all excited) is this:

What are my parents’ grandkids going to call them?

All the best ones have already been taken by previous generations within my family. Nana and Mimi are pretty much the best grandma nicknames, but my two longest-lived great-grandmothers were Nana and Mimi. We call my paternal grandparents Sweetie and Poppie. Really now, Sweetie is pretty much the best grandma nickname EVER. I think Pops or Papa are great for a grandfather, but are they too close to Poppie? Will it be confusing? Gramma and Grampa are kind of fun, but not very original. I regularly lurk a stranger’s blog whose grandparents are called DeeDee and Gumpy. Gumpy! Hilarious. Oma and Opa are fun if you’re German. My parents lived in Germany for a while, and my mom gave birth to two kids there…is that close enough? Oh, and I’ve always thought that MeMaw was kind of fun. MeMaw and G’pa. Hm. Maybe MeMaw is a little too weird. I don’t know. My mom was once in an airport, and her name on her boarding pass was missing the V, so it said “Icky Sweet” and she had to show it to all the security people and the gate attendants and stuff. So now I tease her by saying our kids will call them Icky and The General. The General may actually work, but Icky!! Gramma Icky! Awesome. Anyway, sorry for the random speculation. I guess ultimately, it’s up to my parents, right? Is that how it works? They decide for themselves? I shouldn’t even be wasting my time thinking about this, but I’m so weird about names that NOT knowing what they’ll be called sometimes gets me a little anxious. But only a little.

5 comments:

  1. You need to calm down here because I am sure Poppie did not choose that one. Sweetie is great though and the best way to compliment someone is to use their name so I don't mind the repetition on that one. I have always been a fan of Meep Map. Bobacles is good, but only for a crazy grandpa named Bob. the end

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmmm, my nephew couldn't say Grandpa so he used to call my dad "Paca" sick huh? What happened to just good ol' fashioned Grandma and Grandpa?!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha. so jake and i talked endlessly about this, because i refuse to let our children call his mom and dad "grandpa jay and grandma julie" i think it's just weird, and disrespectful or something! but all the cousins do... so who knows what our kids will call them. you're right, sweetie is the best one ever. can't really beat it, so don't try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. dan n laurie's kids call her parents gramma & grampa. my parents? (they will forcefully correct them, if they call them the wrong thing) are nana and poppa. i think gramma and grampa will do for our little family- darcy feels strongly about the subject.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like Gumpy the best. By far.

    ReplyDelete