Monday, March 11, 2013

Baby Bonnet Crochet Pattern (free!)

I picked up crochet to make Penny a sweater, and I've continued because I find it relaxing. The problem is, I'm not really a huge fan of the look of crochet. I'm really selective in what I attempt because there is some truly heinous crochet out there. Even when it's not a piece that's totally hid, the overall look is just not my style. At all. That being said, I stumbled across a pattern for a bonnet on crochetlatte.com that made my jaw drop. I NEEDED THIS BONNET I HAD TO OWN THIS BONNET. It took me hours and hours and hours to make the first one, and when I finished I told Corinne, "It's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen, and I made it!" The reason it took me so long was the perfect storm of A) a beginner crocheter having absolutely no idea what she was doing and B) a pattern full of mistakes. It took me making about 6 bonnets to sort it all out, and so I now present my modified version of crochetlatte's Apricot Bonnet.



 my beautiful niece (photos by my SIL Kelsey)


Worsted/medium weight yarn (I love Caron Simply Soft for this project. It's soft and drapey and sheeny.)
H/8 (5 mm) hook for up to 3 months
G/6 (4.25) hook for newborn (quite small)
Remember, it all depends on your gauge. Don't sue me if the sizing is different for you. My gauge must be tight because the original pattern says to use a 4.5 hook for up to 6 months, but the one in the pictures was made with a 5mm and is already on the verge of being too small for her 2-and-a-half-month-old head, so.

This pattern uses US crochet terms.

Beginning puff stitch: ch2. *Yarn over, insert hook into same stitch, yarn over, pull through and bring yarn up to height of rest of stitches* Repeat once more. Yarn over and pull through all loops on hook.

Puff stitch: *Yarn over, insert hook into stitch, yarn over, pull through and bring yarn up to height of rest of stitches* Repeat twice more. Yarn over and pull through all loops on hook.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Magic circle + ch 1

R1: 12 sc in magic circle. Join with sl st to first sc.

R2: Beginning puff st (see above). ch 2. *puff st in next sc. ch 2* repeat 10 times. Join with a sl st to 2nd ch at beginning (12 puff sts formed)

R3: 1 sc in top of each cluster. 2 sc in each 2 ch space. Join with a sl st to first sc. (36 sts)

R4: ch 5 (counts as 1 dc and 2 ch ) dc in same space. *skip next 2 sc. dc, ch2, dc in same sc* (to form a V stitch) repeat all the way around. Join with a sl st in 3rd ch of beginning ch. (12 V sts formed)

R5: ch 3. 4 dc in each 2 ch space (ch 3 counts as your first dc). Join with a sl st to top of beginning ch. (12 fans formed)

R6: Ch 3. Dc in each of the next 36 sts. (37 total, as ch 3 counts as your first dc) Leave remaining 11 sts. TURN.

R7: ch 4 (counts as 1 dc and 1 ch) dc into same st. *skip next 2 dc. 5 dc in next dc. Skip next 2 dc. 1 dc, ch 2, 1 dc in next dc* repeat to end. TURN.

R8: ch 3, 2 dc in 2ch space. *skip next 2 dc. 1 dc, ch 2, 1 dc in next dc (middle of shell from previous row). Skip next 3dc. 5 dc in next 2 ch space* repeat until end, placing 3 dc in last space at end of row. TURN.

R9: ch 4, dc in same space. *skip next 3 dc. 5 dc in next 2 ch space. Skip next 2 dc. 1 dc, ch 2, 1 dc in next dc (middle of shell from previous row)* repeat to end. TURN.

*You can repeat R8 and R9 for a deeper bonnet, but I don't. That's one of the things I love most about this bonnet - the fact that it doesn't cover the head, it cups it.

R10: ch 3, 2 dc in 2 ch space. *skip 3 dc. Sc in next dc. (middle of shell) Skip 3 dc. 5 dc in next 2 ch space* repeat until you get to last 2 ch space. 3 dc in last 2 ch space. Ch 50 (or desired length) for ties. TURN.

R11: sc in 1st ch from hook and in each remaining chs. sc evenly across back of bonnet. Ch 50 when you get to the opposite corner. TURN. (I try to keep my scs along the ch 50 pretty tight, as that's what causes the ties to curl. Apparently that's not desirable in crochet, but I like it so whatever.)

R12: sc in 1st ch from hook and in each remaining chs. Sc across the front of the bonnet. Cast off. Weave in ends.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------




My precioussss...

59 comments:

  1. That bonnet is adorable! I really need to learn how to knit and crochet. I regret that I ignored my mom when she tried to teach me. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter and sisters were never interested. But HaHa, the 10 yo grandson is learning crochet and the 5 yo is fascinated by everything in the sewing room. He's learning pinning. Drew blood and pronounced him a true quilter.

      Delete
  2. Wow. Good job Jessie! It must be satisfying to create something so nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a beautiful niece! (I have 14! Nieces & nephews....)
    Love the color!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I could understand any of that. Oh well, the baby IS cute and I don't mind modeling your wares on my children!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Round 6 needs to be 37 stitches, or there is no way to finish round 7 evenly. I got frustrated with it last night and put it aside after redoing the row four times, sure that I was missing a stitch somewhere... but I drew it out on paper this morning, and nope - you're a stitch short. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaaaa you're right. I made the change. Thanks for contributing your expertise - I'm very much a beginner! Sorry it messed you up!

      Delete
    2. Thank you for shareing your sweet, well written, FREE pattern My Bonnet worked up perfectly !

      Delete
  6. Took me about an hour to make this tonight. I made one change. I switched to an "F" hook to finish, starting with the chain 50. I'm hoping that will give a closer fit. I used white Sirdar Snuggly and it's perfect. Plan to make it in other colors. I donate to a hospital that has lots of low-income teens who have nothing for their babies, and these will go with many of the blankets I make.

    ReplyDelete
  7. THANKYOU!!!! Whilst I love the apricot bonnet I too had oodles of issues trying to get it right, seriously many many thanks for the modified version. I'm much too lazy to have worked it out myself ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well I didn't see "crochetlatte.com's" version, but I think yours' is just perfect! I can't wait to make! Hoping I do yours' justice. Thanks for the pattern

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for this beautiful pattern I have made a few for gifts but was wondering if I wanted to sell some it would be ok. I am perfectly happy to give you credit for the pattern

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pattern originator stated in the comments section of her own post that people can sell their items, and since mine is just a modification of that pattern, feel free! You don't need to credit me.

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much I prefer your modifications it fits closer to the head very classy

      Delete
  10. I made this today with an I hook to fit 9 months. It was perfect. Very easy to follow. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ok I feel like I'm going crazy. When doing Row 8, it says to repeat the pattern to the last ch2 space. That's not the end of the row though correct? How is this not going to screw up the pattern? Am I just reading it wrong? Please help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, put the 3 double crochets from the end of row 8 into the very last space in row 7. (Row 7 begins with "ch 4 (counts as 1 dc and 1 ch)" so I guess technically it's not a ch2 space, it's a 1dc 1ch space.) I'll adjust my wording so it's more clear!

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much! I thought I was going crazy Ha Ha.

      Delete
  12. Is this in uk or US terms? Can't wait to make it x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for working on this so that the pattern is easy to follow. I made one last night and it is so cute and very fun to make. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are the BEST directions--so clear and concise. It was a breeze to make this bonnet! Thank you SO much!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you sooooo much for this pattern - I actually used your instructions and made it with 2 strands and a 10mm hook, modified it very slightly and it turned into the hood I had been trying to find but couldn't! I added ears and knotted up the straps and it looks super cute! If you'd like to see a picture, here's the link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzEoJVI682OfZ1l6RWF4VHBFRzA/edit?usp=sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it! Very clever, thanks for sharing :)

      Delete
    2. I'm glad you liked it! Thanks again for sharing this pattern, I really loved using it! :)

      Delete
  16. Does anyone know how much yarn this project calls for? Like maybe 50grams of Caron yarn? for the 0 to 3months? Jessi this is GORGEOUS!!! Can't wait to make some! Thank you, Leilani from Tulsa, Oklahoma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds about exactly right. I can make 3 bonnets from one skein of Simply Soft, which is 170 grams.

      Delete
  17. Thank you sooooooooooo much!!! I worked up...err...attempted to work up the apricot bonnet back in May and it was a disaster for me lol. Glad I found your re-work of it because I just finished it and omg it is B E A UTIFUL!! Thanks a ton! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you so much for this! You made this super easy!! This is my go to gift for baby girls instead of a hat. Beautiful with booties and a blanket. Perfect thank you thank you thank you

    ReplyDelete
  19. Any chance you could post a you tube video???? I'm teaching myself to crochet and this may not be the best pattern from everyone's comments about it being a fast knit I needed to try because it is gorgeous!!! I'm a perfectionist though and want to make sure it looks right... Sincerely LG

    ReplyDelete
  20. Please help, im having trouble with row 4? I end up with more then the 12 v's if I do it all the way round going by what rows 1,2,3 say I end up with the 36 stitches but then row 4 just isn't working out.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pattern is correct as written. Basically, you will place a V-stitch (dc, ch2, dc) in every third stitch all the way around. (The very first V-stitch in the round won't be completed until you work your way around then join with a slip stitch to the 3rd ch of your beginning chain.)

      Does that help?

      Delete
  21. Thank you so much for the pattern!:) gosh I personally hate Caron Simply Soft yarn lol Have any of you guys tried to use any other weight 4 yarn to substitute this ?? Just wondering if it would come out good if I take for example Red Heart Super Saver or Red Heart With Love??? Any ideas?:) thank you so much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful pattern with what appears to be a Rose of Sharon medallion. The Rose of Sharon is known as a symbol of beauty, love and protection. It is also a symbol of the USA Korean War Veterans (instead of red poppy pins they distribute the blue Rose of Sharon). I just completed this pattern and it is gorgeous. I will be converting the pattern to mercerized thread - and am excited to see the end results. I donate most of my work to Angel Gowns of The Villages and Angel Snugs of The Villages. I am smiling :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to see! Are you on Ravelry? Come back and leave a link once you've successfully converted the pattern :)

      Delete
  23. I have a question regarding row 8. It reads:
    R8: ch 3, 2 dc in 2ch space. *skip next 2 dc. 1 dc, ch 2, 1 dc in next dc (middle of shell from previous row). Skip next 3dc. 5 dc in next 2 ch space* repeat until end, placing 3 dc in last space at end of row. TURN

    My question is this: In the ** section, I wonder if you forgot to count the second dc that makes up the V stitch. So that there are actually 3dc to skip in order to place the row 8 V stitch at the center of the shell from row 7?
    Thanks for the pattern. I personally love using caron simply soft so I was glad to see this pattern adjusted for it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. ... same with row 9. I know it gets confusing to see the stitch when the work is being turned, but I'm still counting 3dc that need to skipped. You figure there are 7 dc total... 5dc in the shell and 2 in the V stitch... 6 being skipped and 1 being worked in. Unless I'm not seeing something I should, which is entirely possible :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you so much for sharing this super beautiful bonnet!! I am having trouble on Row 5. Each fan should consists of 4 dc right? If 4 dc x 12 that means there will 48 sts, right? But why in Row 6 was mentioned 36 sts? Please help me. Many thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi. It's me again. I think I understand it now ... silly me... because this is not a hat, but a bonnet, so there is an opening :).
    But I truly love the bonnet & thanks a lot for sharing the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hey Jessie, thanks for sharing the pattern. I tried and turned out great.

    http://pinterest.com/pin/443886107002111164

    ReplyDelete
  28. Its the cutest, going to make one, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I really love this pattern! Great job. I have a question about Row 7. If we are to be doing a pattern of 1DC, CH2, 1DC for the V-stitches, then shouldn't the beginning be a chain 5 (to count as 1DC and 2 chains)? Other wise the first V only has a ch1 space but the others all have ch2 spaces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One chain in one row will literally make no difference in the completed bonnet, but sure!

      Delete
  30. What an adorable baby bonnet pattern! Thank you very much! :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. I made this last night and I plan on making a few more. Quick and so sweet! Thank you very much! Are you on Ravelry?

    ReplyDelete
  32. Omg I just made this an i made it for my 7 yr old an i just used a j hook an it's coming out so cute thank you for this beautiful pattern

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm making a cape an needed a hood I made up a pattern for the back but couldn't find anything to use for the hood an i hope this works thank you so so so much

      Delete
  33. Just made one for a friend. So quick and oh so pretty! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thanks for the great pattern! Worked up so quickly and is adorable. I want to make a million more.

    ReplyDelete
  35. perfectly planning for a baby
    is really effective and it costs less than other painful treatments available. My sister has used this .

    ReplyDelete
  36. I made this using a silk and bamboo yarn. I think it is too small for a newborn. Hat height is 4 inches and depth is 4 inches. Maybe to fit a preemie or is this supposed to be smaller than normal?

    ReplyDelete
  37. Thank you for sharing the pattern, it's easy to follow. I have made this twice - the first one came up very small (I'm keeping for a doll) so with the second one I repeated row 8 and 9 and it is a much better size for my 7 week old grandbaby (who has a big head apparently). It came up lovely and soft with Caron Simply Soft yarn as per suggestion, luckily I had some.

    ReplyDelete
  38. This is the best crochet pattern I've found online in a long time!! Thank you so much for being so diligent with your wording and accuracy 💕

    ReplyDelete
  39. Thank you so much for this pattern! I have made one with size 10 thread, and one with size 20 and they are perfect for premie/micropremie sizing. The instructions were very easy to follow and they worked up quickly. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Sweet Bonnet, beautifully written pattern! I’m going to look for more of your patterns; thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete