Thursday, November 13, 2008

Creeeepy...

I think the topic of my creepy neighbor warrants further discussion. I always knew he was an oddball (see here), but the past few weeks he has really begun to make me uneasy. It started with him leaning out from behind his truck to stare penetratingly into our home one day when I opened the blinds, and it ended with him coming and standing within ten feet of me for no good reason one day without saying anything for three or four minutes while I was waiting for Penny to hurry up and take a dump. As though I were a T-Rex, and as long as he kept perfectly still, I wouldn’t even know he was there. That was the last straw, but there were lots of things in between, too, the most notable of which was him following me in his golf cart from one end of the apartment complex to the other as I walked to get the mail. Once I got to my mailbox, he came careening around the corner and parked haphazardly near the curb to then quiz me on all the things the postman had brought me that day. Another time, while I was waiting in the Jeep for Jon (who had run into the apartment to grab my purse before we left to go to the dog park), creepy neighbor buddy came down the stairs to the parking lot, then stood at the bed of his truck, perfectly parallel to me, and stared me down until Jon emerged from our house. Each time I glanced over at him, he was looking right at my face, and he didn’t even bother to look away. And there were lots of little things, too, like how every single time when I walked Penny to her potty spot, THAT was the moment he decided to come outside to have a smoke. Or like how the one day I’ve ever used our exercise facility, THAT was the day he had to be walking back and forth through it. Mind you, this man is my next door neighbor. We share an entryway and a living room wall. He’s also an employee of the complex, doing maintenance and grounds keeping and whatnot. To be fair though, honestly, I’ve never felt scared of him or directly threatened or anything. As I put it in a recent letter to a friend:


“It’s not like I’m scared of him, or I think he’s going to use his master key to come watch me sleep while Jon is out of town, but I definitely think he’s an oddball that needs someone to explain to him ‘You don’t stare into tenant’s windows for prolonged amounts of time’. You know? One of those guys whose mother never taught him how to be normal? How to act around people? The difference between being friendly and being an effing psychopath? These are all valuable life lessons that he must have somehow missed out on.”


Anyway, so I typed myself up a nice little letter and walked it on down to management. And that’s the end of that. Hopefully.


Other than that, not much going on. Being bored to death at work, Jon off traveling around, getting excited for the holidays. Trying to come up with ideas for Christmas gifts. Planning out all the delicious places I’m going to eat while in Salt Lake City for Thanksgiving. Preparing for my upcoming weekend in Las Vegas. This is the stuff I think about when there is absolutely nothing else to do. Sorry I even mentioned it. Things will pick up soon and I’ll have lots to blog about, but for now…this is what you get.

7 comments:

  1. That is freakishly creepy!!!! I shuddered.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my gosh! i'm glad you gave a letter to the management! psychopaths have to live somewhere too... why not right next door.

    speaking of your door.... LOCK IT.

    ReplyDelete
  3. forget the creep, who knew you were going to salt lake for thanksgiving?!?! that is exciting! for how long? driving or flying? i need details. please. thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, uh.......

    Yeah. I think you should move.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Um....riiiiiiight. That's tres creepy. Seriously, you see these kinda guys on SVU or Numbers or Criminal Minds....get out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You need to update soon so we know you're alive and haven't been murdered in your sleep by your Creepy Neighbor.

    I had a dream about you last night. Aaron and I were together for some reason and we came to stay with you and Jon, it was radical. You guys had this really sweet SUV and we were cruising around in the rain listening to awesome music.
    Awesome.

    ReplyDelete